Together we fight for everyone’s opportunity for a better financial future.
We will do this together — with customers, partners and colleagues. We will fight for others, not against: We will stand up for and champion everyone’s access to opportunities. The status quo is not good enough … we believe every individual and every community deserves access to financial opportunities. We are determined to support both individuals and communities in reaching a better financial future. We know that reaching this future depends on our actions today.
Like our Purpose Statement, Voya believes in being bold and committed to action. We are committed to a work environment where the differences that we are born with — and those we acquire throughout our lives — are understood, valued and intentionally pursued. We believe that our employees own our culture and have a responsibility to foster an environment where we all feel comfortable bringing our whole selves to work. Purposefully bringing our differences together to positively influence our culture, serve our clients and enrich our communities is essential to our vision.
Are you ready to join a company with a strong purpose and a winning culture? Start your Voyage – Apply Now
Provide legal counsel to investment professionals with respect to the review, negotiation, closing and management of financing transactions in Middle Market Loans, Private Placements and Project Finance for Voya’s general account and third party accounts/funds.
Get to Know the Opportunity:
- Provide legal counsel for direct and syndicated Middle Market Loans, Private Placement, Special Situations and Project Finance debt investments.
- Work with deal teams to design and negotiate deal structures, covenants and term sheets.
- Advise investment professionals on legal issues and risks of transaction terms, structure, amendments and consents.
- Review and negotiate documentation related to transactions including, loan agreements, note purchase agreements, indentures, confidentiality agreements, intercreditor agreements, project documents and collateral documents.
- Work with department head and deal teams on issues that may arise when investments become distressed, necessitating restructurings or workouts.
- Responsible for overseeing special projects that arise from client requests, including portfolio movements necessitating transfer of securities.
- Lead deal funding and closing process.
- Prepare materials and checklists to support investment recommendations.
- Oversee and work effectively with external counsel providing support on the foregoing matters.
- Assist with other investment regulatory and compliance matters and manage projects that may arise.
Preferred Knowledge & Experience:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school and member in good standing of a state bar.
- At least six years of relevant transactional experience with a law firm or in-house at a financial institution.
- Transactional experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating documents for Middle Market/Direct lending transactions. Experience with restructurings, private placements and project finance transactions a plus.
- Willingness to take on special projects as needed, including the oversight of large operational transactions and secondary trading.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and research skills.
- Strong transactional management and organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze a variety of legal issues and synthesize complex information.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take initiative, and work within set time constraints.
- Strong team player willing to collaborate with other attorneys and work closely with investment professionals.
Base Comp Range- a $156,000 – $195,000
Compensation Pay Disclosure:
Voya is committed to pay that’s fair and equitable, which means comparable pay for comparable roles and responsibilities.
The below annual base salary range reflects the expected hiring range(s) for this position in the location(s) listed. In addition to base salary, Voya offers incentive opportunities (i.e., annual cash incentives, sales incentives, and/or long-term incentives) based on the role to reward the achievement of annual performance objectives. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Voya Financial is willing to pay at the time of this posting.
Actual compensation offered may vary from the posted salary range based upon the candidate’s geographic location, work experience, education, licensure requirements and/or skill level and will be finalized at the time of offer. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
Be Well. Stay Well.
Voya provides the resources that can make a difference in your lives. To us, this means thriving physically, financially, socially and emotionally. Voya benefits are designed to help you do just that. That’s why we offer an array of plans, programs, tools and resources with one goal in mind: To help you and your family be well and stay well.
What We Offer
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance plans
- 401(k) Savings plan – with generous company matching contributions (up to 6%)
- Voya Retirement Plan – employer paid cash balance retirement plan (4%)
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250/year
- Paid time off – including 20 days paid time off, nine paid company holidays and a flexible Diversity Celebration Day.
- Paid volunteer time — 40 hours per calendar year
Learn more about Voya benefits (download PDF)
At Voya, we have identified the following critical skills which are key to success in our culture:
- Customer Focused: Passionate drive to delight our customers and offer unique solutions that deliver on their expectations.
- Critical Thinking: Thoughtful process of analyzing data and problem solving data to reach a well-reasoned solution.
- Team Mentality: Partnering effectively to drive our culture and execute on our common goals.
- Business Acumen: Appreciation and understanding of the financial services industry in order to make sound business decisions.
- Learning Agility: Openness to new ways of thinking and acquiring new skills to retain a competitive advantage.
Learn more about Critical Skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
Voya Financial is an equal-opportunity employer. Voya Financial provides equal opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, disability, veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other status protected by state or local law.
We are committed to maintaining a diverse workforce. This commitment governs all decisions related to employment, including selection, development and compensation. It also includes an employee’s request for reasonable accommodation. All employees will be treated in a manner free from discrimination or harassment. Voya is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities, including reasonable accommodation when needed. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an application, please see our resources for applicants with disabilities.