Duties and Responsibilities:
State Farm, a Fortune 50 company, is offering a Counsel opportunity within the Investments Unit of the Law Department, which is located in State Farm’s corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Illinois. Our Law Department employees are challenged, committed and empowered. At State Farm, we help one another grow professionally and personally. It is part of who we are and have been since 1922.
The Investments Unit’s primary responsibilities include counseling State Farm on: (i) commercial mortgage loan transactions; (ii) the acquisition, development and sale of investment real estate; (iii) fixed income and private corporate debt investments; (iv) private equity investments; (v) the formation and governance of affiliated entities; and (vi) laws and regulations impacting the investment activities of an insurer and its affiliates. In addition to these core areas, the role of the Investments Unit continues to evolve and expand as new legal issues arise in an ever-changing business environment.
Interested candidates should have experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Complex commercial mortgage loan transactions and construction loans.
• Purchases and sales of commercial real estate and real estate construction and development issues.
• Real estate joint venture transactions and financial relationships between investors.
• Private equity investments.
• Fixed income and private corporate debt investments.
Candidates should also possess:
• An awareness of current economic trends impacting institutional investors.
• Demonstrated legal, organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills.
• A strong work ethic and customer-service mentality.
• The ability to work in an environment that emphasizes information sharing, collaboration, teamwork, mutual respect and integrity.
• Law degree and excellent academic credentials from an ABA-accredited school required
• Must have active license to practice law in at least one state and a member in good standing of the bar
• Must be able to obtain a limited license if not already appropriately licensed in IL
• Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or his designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work
• Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
• Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
• May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of the work
• This is not a virtual position
Requisition ID: req6308
Note: This opening replaces req5320 that was recently closed for administrative purposes. Anyone who had applied for req5320 and is still interested in this new opening should re-apply.
Investment/Real Estate Counsel
Number of Openings: