Counsel – Asset Management – SLC Management
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You’ll work with dynamic colleagues – experts in their fields – who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you’ll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients – who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
SLC Management is a global institutional asset manager that provides innovative and diversified solutions to meet our clients’ evolving needs. Our history of organic and strategic growth reflects this commitment with over CA$335/US$262 billion (as of June 30, 2022) in assets under management.
We are breaking new ground with a full spectrum of solutions for a growing institutional client base of more than 1300 organizations. As a subsidiary of Sun Life, we are aligned with one of the world’s leading financial services companies, and benefit from the stability and strength of that relationship.
We are a performance-driven organization and live by a set of core values that put our clients’ needs and goals first. As part of our team, you play a role in fulfilling our purpose and making a difference. We offer a collaborative, inclusive environment, focused on growth and opportunity, where you will be encouraged and empowered to meet the challenges of a highly competitive landscape.
We are looking for talented professionals at all stages of their financial careers: those who are ready to learn, those who are ready to innovate, and those who are ready to lead.
Visit us at https://www.slcmanagement.com/inv.
Job description (heading) / Description du poste (titre)
- We are looking for an experienced U.S. Securities or Corporate Lawyer with strong business acumen and a relentless focus on the client experience to join the dynamic legal team that supports SLC Management’s growing asset management and investment business. This is an agile role.
Preferred skills (heading) / Compétences particulières (titre)
- Willingness to work independently
- Able to engage and influence others with confidence
- Able to apply analytical and creative thinking to provide innovative solutions and manage risk
- Skilled at simplifying complex legal concepts and writing and speaking clearly
- Able to take a risk-based approach to the prioritization of work; and
- Able to build relationships across multiple functional areas.
Qualifications (heading) / Compétences (titre)
- A member in good standing with the bar association of any U.S. state, with a minimum of 3+ years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house legal team (ideally, a financial institution or asset manager)
- Primary experience in U.S. securities law and/or investment management
Responsibilities (heading) / Responsabilités (titre)
- Advise our product development, distribution/sales, client services, portfolio management, tax, compliance, finance and operation teams on various SLC fixed income products (fund vehicles and/or separately managed accounts)
- Collaborate with SLC’s affiliated advisors: BGO, Crescent, InfraRed and SLGI with respect to multi-manager products, sub-advisory agreements and/or seed investments
- Provide legal support to SLC’s FINRA registered broker-dealer
- Monitor and advise on applicable industry and regulatory trends
- Oversee, direct and/or review the work of external counsel
- Establish working knowledge of both US and Canadian securities laws applicable to SLC’s business lines
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.