Senior Investment Counsel (Commercial Real Estate Finance)
We know there’s more to life than work, and we believe there should be more YOU in your work. Bring us your brilliance and your humor, your ideas, and your passion. We want — and value — the authentic you.
At Securian Financial, you will be part of a hard-working, high-performing, bright-thinking, make-things-happen team. We’ll challenge you to grow your unique strengths to become the person you want to be, at work and outside of it.
Our values make us who we are; they’re more than just words:
- We care about others
- We are thinkers and doers
- We keep our word
- We succeed as a team
They foster collaboration and help us function as a team, working towards a common goal.
As senior investment counsel in our asset management subsidiary, Securian Asset Management, you will use your legal knowledge and experience to assist the business team in evaluating commercial mortgage loans and other related commercial real estate matters. You will play a critical role in maintaining the company’s financial strength in order to fulfill our purpose of building secure tomorrows.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with business colleagues to analyze complex commercial real estate transactions to assess risk, recommend mitigation strategies and negotiate solutions with internal and external third parties while maintaining strong business partner relationships. Independently drafts and negotiates necessary and recommended legal documents, while managing outside counsel and serving as a liaison between closing, legal and business teams.
- Provides expert legal and strategic advice to executives and management regarding highly complex, strategic or sensitive matters which may have a material dollar impact. Exercises wide latitude to consider total situation, evaluate risks and rewards, and create practical and effective solutions.
- Creates valuable recommendations leveraging sound risk management practices to achieve the most complex business objectives in ambiguous and unique circumstances.
- Works independently and may lead teams, including direction and guidance for team members on: assignment of work, prioritization and coordination of tasks, and projects or assignments for development, coaching, training and mentoring of other team members. Monitors progress towards the achievement of set goals and objectives.
- Creates an inclusive work environment of highly engaged associates. Develops and empowers high performing talent. Ability to build trusted relationships across organizational boundaries both within and outside of Securian Financial. Produces results and makes decisions in service of broader organizational goals.
- Balances the allocation of internal and external resources taking into account factors such as workload, skill base, closing deadlines and cost of internal and external resources.
- License to practice law in Minnesota or another state (if remote candidate).
- At least 5 years of legal experience in commercial real estate and/or commercial real estate lending is required. Experience drafting and negotiating complex loan documents, commercial leases (preferably office and retail), ground leases and leasehold mortgages, easements, survey and title review are required.
- Experience working in-house for an institutional lender or life insurance company.
- Experience with commercial real estate acquisition/sale, development, property management agreements.
- Experience with commercial workouts, foreclosure and/or deed in lieu of foreclosure.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn regulations and laws impacting insurance companies and registered investment advisors.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn applicable commercial mortgage loan servicing and commercial mortgage loan finance regulations and laws.
- Finance background (either finance degree, MBA or finance related work expertise).
- Experience with management of outside counsel relationships and external legal expenditures within budget guidelines.
The physical qualifications section is a requirement by our company to list what is physically required for the position.
- Ability to utilize the keyboard, computer and/or mouse for up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize the phone and/or virtual meeting platform for 4-8 hours per day
- Ability to meet the physical demands of traveling, approximately 2-3 times a year to attend industry conferences; this includes the ability to operate a motor vehicle as well as an ability to utilize air travel
Securian Financial has been around for 140 years. We’re committed to giving back to our community, donating 15,000 employee volunteer hours this past year. We also provide extensive resources to our employees for professional development and growth and a number of diverse professional and social opportunities throughout the company. There’s a reason our employees have voted us as a best place to work year after year! In addition:
- Generous paid time off. We want you to take time off for whatever matters most to you!
- Tuition reimbursement program. We value continuous learning at Securian!
- Company-funded pension plan as well as 401K retirement plan – great resources to secure your financial future.
- Continuous opportunities for new challenges.
- Variety of health plan options as well as dental and vision plans.
- Paid maternity/paternity leaves.