In this role, you will review, draft, negotiate and advise on various types of legal documents related to investment and loan transactions for the organization. You will represent the organization to internal analysts and production teams, as well as external business partners. You will identify, weigh and effectively communicate legal risks and business issues to appropriate parties, ultimately recommending and negotiating appropriate solutions.
- Provide legal services and advice to lender for commercial mortgage loan transactions, mortgage loan servicing, loan modifications, workouts, foreclosure, etc.
- Upon mastery of commercial mortgage loans, learn to prepare or review requested amendments, consents, and waivers with respect to private placement bonds and other investments, analyze proposed changes and recommend approval, rejection or modification to the business team.
- Maximize resources by hiring and directing outside counsel, to ensure legal work meets Securian Asset Management’s standards and legal fees charged are reasonable for the specific transaction.
- As directed by the Chief Legal Officer, and without the assistance of outside counsel, prepare, review, and negotiate all types of business agreements necessary for the operation of Securian Asset Management’s business.
- Research applicable laws and regulations, review operational practices and develop, implement, monitor and review selected policies and procedures necessary for Securian Asset Management to comply with federal securities and other applicable state laws, including licensing for mortgage lending entities.
- Licensed attorney with a minimum of 3+ years of experience in commercial mortgage lending, drafting loan documents, commercial leasing (preferably office and retail leasing), real estate acquisition and sales transactions (e.g., purchase and sale agreements, development, property management agreements), easements, survey review and title issue resolution. Experience with workouts, foreclosure and/or deed in lieu of foreclosure transactions is not required but is a plus. A basic understanding of life insurance company regulation is also a plus.
- Understanding of basic business principles concerning the selection of investments with emphasis on underwriting of commercial mortgage loans. Knowledge of state and federal securities laws (investment advisor act and securities law act), corporate laws, uniform commercial code laws and bankruptcy law is a plus.
- Exposure to private placement bond transactions or private equity/alternative investments is a plus but not required. Working knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles is a plus.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to form creative solutions to innovate, lead change and mitigate risk.
- Strong communication skills to explain transaction structures and legal risks to other associates, project a professional image, and negotiate complex lending and investment transactions with various external business partners.
- Excellent organizational skills to prioritize and handle numerous and complex transactions with short deadlines concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to apply legal rules and regulations to business situations in a practical and collaborative fashion.