Pacific Life is investing in bright, agile and diverse talent to contribute to our mission of innovating our business and creating a superior customer experience. We’re actively seeking a talented AVP & Assistant General Counsel to join our legal team in Newport Beach, CA. The work mode for this role can be onsite, hybrid or remote.
As an AVP & Assistant General Counsel you’ll play a key role in Pacific Life’s growth and long-term success by providing legal support for Pacific Life Investments, focusing on private credit and equity transactions, as well as Pacific Life’s global Treasury team, focusing on corporate finance, banking transactions, and day-to-day legal needs.
How you will make an impact:
- Analyze and advise Pacific Life Investments’ private placement, project finance and private equity teams regarding structure, covenant protections and other investment terms to assist in the evaluation of potential and existing investments.
- Independently negotiate and draft a broad range of investment-related agreements.
- Partner with internal stakeholders including the credit analysts and investment operations on all aspects of the transaction execution process.
- Provide general corporate and regulatory advice to support Pacific Life Investments’ business and operations.
- Partner with the Treasury team on advising, negotiating and drafting agreements and disclosure documents for finance and liquidity transactions including credit facilities, debt issuances, repos, commercial paper, securities lending, intercompany funding, banking matters, and provide legal advice on day-to-day Treasury needs.
- Partner with colleagues in Treasury and Legal functions located in Bermuda, Toronto and London and work with financial reporting, tax, and corporate secretarial teams in Newport Beach in support of Treasury projects.
- Monitor related legal, regulatory and market developments.
- Direct outside counsel in connection with investment and financing transactions and related matters.
- Build and maintain external industry relationships
The experience you will bring:
- License to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction.
- 6+ years direct relevant experience at a law firm or a financial services organization.
- Working knowledge of securities laws. Knowledge of derivatives and insurance regulations relating to investments is preferred.
- In-depth and practical knowledge of corporate finance transactions.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and critical-thinking skills, as well as strong business acumen and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to analyze and recommend solutions to complex problems and communicate effectively with peers, senior executives, and outside business partners.
- Comfortable working independently on multiple projects and prioritizing work streams as needed.
- Demonstrates team leadership experience for managing large legal projects.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships through strong interpersonal skills.
- Motivated to develop professionally and learn new skills
Base Pay Range:
The base pay range noted represents the company’s good faith minimum and maximum range for this role at the time of posting. The actual compensation offered to a candidate will be dependent upon several factors, including but not limited to experience, qualifications and geographic location. Also, most employees are eligible for additional incentive pay.
$189,180.00 – $231,220.00
Your Benefits Start Day 1
Your wellbeing is important to Pacific Life, and we’re committed to providing you with flexible benefits that you can tailor to meet your needs. Whether you are focusing on your physical, financial, emotional, or social wellbeing, we’ve got you covered.
- Prioritization of your health and well-being including Medical, Dental, Vision, and Wellbeing Reimbursement Account that can be used on yourself or your eligible dependents
- Generous paid time off options including: Paid Time Off, Holiday Schedules, and Financial Planning Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave as well as an Adoption Assistance Program
- Competitive 401k savings plan with company match and an additional contribution regardless of participation
Pacific Life Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at Pacific Life Insurance Company.