Position Title: Associate General Counsel, Private Placement Debt
Available Office Locations: Radnor, PA, or New York, NY
Experience: 6+ years
Leading asset manager seeking an attorney with at least six years of experience to provide advice and support on a broad variety of legal and regulatory matters for its Private Placement Debt team within its institutional asset management business. The position will report to the General Counsel – Institutional Asset Management.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a well-rounded, solutions-oriented attorney who enjoys working on highly interesting, sophisticated and diverse opportunities in a relationship-oriented industry.
- Negotiating and advising on the structuring and documentation of private placement debt transactions for various types of institutional clients of a U.S. registered investment adviser and its affiliates, including clients that are insurance companies and public and corporate pension plans. Documentation is primarily 4(a)(2) format (occassionally loan and 144A), and consists of a variety of deal types, including corporates, project finance/infrastructure, asset-backed and credit tenant & ground leases.
- Maintaining understanding of regulatory environment for private placement investment clients, particularly insurance company clients in relation to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Providing legal support for private placement debt transactions requiring waivers, amendments, workouts or restructurings.
- Advising on the provision of investment advisory services with respect to the private placement debt strategy to institutional separate account clients in the United States and abroad, including negotiating investment advisory agreements.
- Structuring, forming, advising and providing ongoing support with respect to private funds set up for the private placement debt strategy.
- Drafting and negotiating transaction documentation including nondisclosure agreements, term sheets, expressions of interest, commitment letters, placement agreements, and other documentation.
- Reviewing requests for proposals (“RFPs”), client questionnaires and institutional marketing materials for the private placement debt strategy.
- Working closely with the Legal and Compliance Department globally as well as other control functions.
- Supporting client service and operations professionals in client onboarding and transactional closing and funding processes.
- Supervising and working effectively with outside counsel engaged in connection with any of the foregoing.
- Performing other related work as assigned.
- The ideal candidate will have experience negotiating, documenting, closing, amending, and overseeing the pay-off of private placement (generally 4(a)(2)) investment opportunities across a variety of deal types and credit spectrum.
- Strong organizational skills, and ability to multi-task and be nimble depending on the team’s business activities/deal flow.
- Candidates with large law firm and in-house experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Securities Act of 1933, and Securities Exchange Act of 1934 is required, and familiarity with ERISA helpful.