If you’re passionate about being part of a diverse organization that enables a Fortune 100 company to deliver innovative business solutions with excellence, then Nationwide’s Legal team could be the place for you!
This position handles matters as assigned by senior attorneys and provides base level support across all Investments Legal Practice Group areas, including derivatives, mezzanine lending, private equity, private debt, debt and equity funds, structured products, investment advisory, as well as capital market transactions and general Investments business support. Support of the derivatives space is essential. This position will also be leveraged as needed to support other business partners, including Corporate Development’s Strategic Partnerships, Venture Capital, and M&A activity.
H4 pay band
Job Description Summary
Would you thrive in an environment where you can deliver top-quality legal services to support business objectives of a Fortune 100 insurance and financial services company? If you have legal talent and great interpersonal and communication skills, we want to know more about you!
We provide legal expertise that reflects our commitment to innovative thinking, effective collaboration and a proactive approach to our work. As Counsel, you’ll provide expert advice and build strong relationships with fellow team members and business leaders across many levels. We’ll count on you to recommend risk management strategies by actively identifying and assessing risks in unique and complex situations that have potential for significant impact to the company.
- Provides advice and expertise on a broad range of legal matters with minimal direction within a specific area of responsibility. Attends business partner meetings to better understand business processes and needs.
- Identifies and assesses risks in unique or complex business situations. Creates risk management/mitigation recommendations demonstrating sound risk assessment and legal skills.
- Addresses situations of high exposure or risk; understands business risk tolerance and considers it in the context of risk management strategies and actions. Has input into or influence on company decision-making.
- Builds creative, practical and effective solutions to issues with no established precedent. May interact with persons outside of the company on behalf of the organization.
- Leads matters that are complex and/or strategic in nature. Understands the business partner’s goals, objectives and needs. Advises senior leaders on case law, legislative and regulatory matters. Considers the long-term business and strategic consequences of potential outcomes. Demonstrates strength with clients by clearly communicating legal requirements and cautionary counsel. Effectively responds to challenges and collaborates to achieve risk-mitigated outcomes.
- Builds and maintains a wide network of positive relationships at many levels within the OCLO and with business partners, including at leadership levels.
- Works independently and may also lead teams on group/client tasks, projects or assignments.
- May mentor less experienced attorneys or paralegals on business and legal issues.
May perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting Relationships: May report to Vice President/Associate Vice President/Managing Counsel. May have the opportunity to supervise up to three legal associates.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: JD from an American Bar Association-accredited law school.
License/Certification/Designation: Associates reporting within Nationwide’s Office of the Chief Legal Officer (OCLO) who are functioning in attorney roles must be fully licensed in accordance with OCLO policy, in good standing and in compliance with all continuing legal education requirements at all times in the state(s) in which they practice.
Experience: Typically, six or more years of relevant legal experience. Has demonstrated business knowledge.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Has proven experience with or knowledge of an area of law, complex legal practices and procedures. Considered a specialist on a specific product, service or legal specialty (employment, finance, regulatory, real estate, securities, tax, etc.). Possesses sound business knowledge with respect to area of legal support. Strong verbal and written communication skills for interacting with associates and business partners. Skilled at interpreting statutes, regulations, insurance policies and other contracts. Decision-making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to initiate, prioritize and coordinate complex projects and/or cases that cross functional or business lines. Takes the lead role in complex and/or strategic negotiations. Supervisory skills helpful, as this role may have the opportunity to supervise a small group of legal resources within an area of law.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional or regular travel, depending on role.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential responsibilities the of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
We have an array of benefits to fit your needs, including: medical/dental/vision, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, paid time off with newly hired associates receiving a minimum of 18 days paid time off each full calendar year pro-rated quarterly based on hire date, nine paid holidays, 8 hours of Lifetime paid time off, 8 hours of Unity Day paid time off, 401(k) with company match, company-paid pension plan, business casual attire, and more. To learn more about the benefits we offer, click here.
Nationwide is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged. Nationwide prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.