Manulife/John Hancock seeks a transactional lawyer with 4 to 8 years of relevant work experience in structuring, negotiating and managing complex private equity fund formations, separately managed accounts, private equity fund investments and direct private equity transactions. This position works closely with the Private Markets team, as well as Manulife’s front-office teams that support the build out of Manulife’s third-party investment management platform.
The position will also collaborate with other business teams and legal colleagues in the United States, Canada and internationally to support corporate third-party investment management initiatives. The candidate must have deep knowledge of private equity fund formation and private equity transactions across a variety of asset classes and industries. Experience in senior or junior debt, infrastructure transactions, real estate and/or workouts and restructurings enhances any candidacy. Above all, we seek a colleague who acts as a trusted advisor, partnering with business clients to devise prudent, creative solutions that protect and advance the company’s interests.
This is a mid-level position for candidates with a J.D., which will be based in our offices in either Boston or Toronto.
- Partner with internal clients to structure third-party investment vehicles and similar arrangements
- Review marketing and strategy documents
- Review, analyze and negotiate private equity and fund investment transaction agreements
- Handle fundraising and transaction processes from origination through closing
- Direct outside counsel in connection with transactions and other investment matters
- Work closely with Investment Compliance and Tax Team
- Keep abreast of legal, regulatory and market developments
- Apply legal principles in a practical way to support and protect the company
- Provide general corporate advice to support Private Markets and Investment Division operations
- Juris Doctor with minimum 4 years relevant experience
- Must be (or become) licensed to practice law in Massachusetts or Ontario
- Integrity, collegiality, team orientation, and professionalism
- Strong analytical abilities, excellent judgment and superior interpersonal skills
- Prior work experience at a major law firm and/or in a corporate environment
- Ability to work effectively with clients and colleagues in remote locations
- Flexibility to shifting demands in an evolving environment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.