Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) founded in 1985, is a registered investment adviser and wholly owned subsidiary of John Hancock/Manulife Financial Corporation. HNRG is based in Boston, Massachusetts and is comprised of two core businesses; Hancock Timber Resource Group (HTRG) which develops and manages timberland investments and Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG) which develops and manages farmland investments. HNRG develops and manages diversified agricultural and timberland portfolios for a global client base. As of September 30, 2020, HNRG managed $14.1 billion of timberland and farmland, comprising approximately 5.9 million acres located in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Chile.
HNRG creates value through the sustainable management of natural resource investments. Through the five pillars of its Sustainability and Responsible Investing (SRI) platform (Ecosystem Resiliency, Watershed Protection, Climate Stability, People Empowerment, and Community Prosperity), HNRG integrates environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors throughout all aspects of its investment decision-making and property management. HNRG’s impacts in 2020 include managing 100% of our eligible timberland investments to third-party sustainability standards and earning the first farmland certification under the new Leading Harvest Farmland Management Standard. Over the past five years our forests and farms have removed an average of 2.9 million metric tons of CO2 annually, and since our founding in 1985 we have planted over 1.2 billion trees.
HNRG seeks Senior Counsel with 10+ years of relevant work experience in complex finance and real estate transactions. The Senior Counsel provides legal counsel to the timberland and agricultural investment teams (including client account management, acquisitions/dispositions and capital formation) and respective property management companies.as well as advising company leadership in support of other strategic business initiatives. The successful candidate must have experience in real estate transactions, real estate related securities, mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and regulated investment advisor portfolio management activities. This position is a leader on the legal team and the successful candidate should have experience in training and mentoring lawyers and paralegals. This position reports directly to the General Counsel of HNRG. Experience in timberland and agricultural matters enhances any candidacy.
- Partner with internal clients to analyze and structure investment opportunities
- Manage transaction processes from origination through closing
- Provide general real estate advice to HNRG’s operating subsidiaries
- Direct outside counsel in connection with transactions and other investment matters
- Act as a trusted advisor to business units to assess and mitigate risks of various types
- Apply legal principles in a practical way to support and protect the company
- Find creative solutions to overcome hurdles enabling the company to sustain competitive advantage and move forward expeditiously but prudently with transactions and new endeavors
- Keep abreast of compliance and regulatory requirements
- Collaborate with MFC professionals across initiatives
- Provide general corporate advice to support HNRG and its subsidiaries
- Assist General Counsel of HNRG in performance of responsibilities globally
- Juris doctor with 10+ years relevant experience preferred
- Candidate must demonstrate integrity, collegiality, team orientation, and professionalism
- Candidate must have excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Must be licensed to practice law in Massachusetts
- Prior work experience at a major law firm and/or in a corporate environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work effectively with clients and colleagues remotely and across the globe
- Adaptability to shifting demands in an evolving environment
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to employ, train, promote and compensate individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability without regard to race, color, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran or marital status.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2020, we had more than 37,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 30 million customers. As of December 31, 2020, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $31.6 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155years. We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com.