Guardian Life Insurance Company
Counsel, Investment and Private Placements
As our Counsel, Investment and Private Placements, you will provide legal support for Guardian’s lnvestment Department, focusing on private placement investments. Specific support expertise includes counseling of internal clients, structuring transactions, negotiating and drafting contracts, providing regulatory advice, and ensuring compliance with Guardian’s investment guidelines.
You are and/or you demonstrate
- Strong team player.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Clear understanding of current market environment and business objectives.
- Ability to assimilate legal requirements and strategies with market environments and business objectives.
- Strong skills and demonstrated experience in negotiating and drafting documentation, counseling clients, and effectively communicating with various constituencies.
- Management skills necessary to bring complex transactions and issues to successful conclusion or resolution.
- Experience in legal matters relative to investment transactions, specifically private placement debt investments.
- Working knowledge of securities laws, corporate transactions and laws affecting the operations of investment vehicles such as funds and partnerships.
- Knowledge of derivatives, ISDA documentation and insurance regulations relating to investments is preferred.
- Juris Doctorate degree.
- Admission to at least one State Bar.
- Between five (5) and ten (10) years of direct relevant experience at a financial services organization or a law firm.
- Consistently provide timely and high-quality legal services to ensure that Guardian’s business is conducted within appropriate legal parameters, and that Guardian stays competitive in changing market environments.
- Stay current with the marketplace environment in which clients operate and what legal strategies are best practices in light of market conditions.
- Balance business and legal objectives in order to achieve appropriate and efficient risk management while maximizing Guardian’s investment strategy.
- Manage client expectations to achieve outcomes under given legal and/or market restrictions.
- Partner and collaborate with Guardian’s private placements investment team, as necessary, to provide appropriate legal support and expertise and to keep stakeholders informed of progress.
- Manage outside counsel to ensure that such engagements are efficient and as cost-effective as possible while achieving the desired outcomes.
- Ensure Guardian is in compliance with regulatory requirements and the general and specific investment authorizations set by our Board of Directors.
- Ensure the proper execution of Guardian’s investment strategy, proper management and continued performance of existing portfolio investments and appropriate legal protection of Guardian’s assets.
As our Counsel, Investment and Private Placements, you will report to our Vice President, Corporate Initiatives & Procurement Counsel who reports to our Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel.
- We are working remotely until our offices reopen in July. Once we reopen our offices, you can continue to work from home, or you can be based in one of our new or newly renovated offices including Hudson Yards in New York NY, Stamford CT, Holmdel NJ or Bethlehem PA. We will also consider qualified candidates in other locations in the continental United States to work from home.
- Infrequent (regardless of your location).
- Through skill-building, leadership development and philanthropic activities, we provide opportunities to build communities and grow your career, surrounded by diverse colleagues with high ethical standards.
- Meaningful and challenging work opportunities to accelerate innovation in a secure and compliant way.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Excellent medical, dental, supplemental health, life and vision coverage for you and your dependents with no wait period.
- Life and disability insurance.
- A great 401(k) with company match.
- Tuition assistance, paid parental leave and backup family care.
- Dynamic, modern work environments that promote collaboration and creativity to develop and empower talent.
- Flexible time off, dress code, and work location policies to balance your work and life in the ways that suit you best.
- Employee Resource Groups that advocate for inclusion and diversity in all that we do.
- Social responsibility in all aspects of our work. We volunteer within our local communities, create educational alliances with colleges, drive a variety of initiatives in sustainability.
Guardian has been helping people protect their futures and secure their lives for 160 years. Every day, we serve approximately 29 million people through a range of insurance and financial products. We help people and their families pursue financial security and well-being in life, health, and wealth. We help companies take care of their employees. And we help people recover and thrive after unexpected loss. From our founding in 1860, when a community of immigrants joined together to insure and protect their businesses and families, doing the right thing for our policyholders and customers has guided everything we do. Our dedication to customers has helped us remain one of the most highly rated in client satisfaction and financial strength. And as one of the largest mutual insurance companies, we know what matters most: putting the needs of our customers first. Because everyone deserves a Guardian. Learn more about Guardian at www.GuardianLife.com.
© Copyright 2021 The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, New York, NY
Equal Employment Opportunity
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.