US – Northbrook, IL
JOB #: 453082-en_US
POSTED DATE: January 8, 2021
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
We are looking to hire an attorney with 3-6 years of experience working on complex investment transactions involving real estate, private equity funds, and commercial mortgage loans, and advising and counseling business partners with respect to such transactions. The work may include drafting and negotiating leases, property management agreements, and other real estate-related documents, and providing legal advice and support in connection with distressed situations. You should be interested in an in-house position in the legal department of a Fortune 100 company. Join Allstate as a Staff Attorney in the Investments & Business Transactions division of Allstate’s Law & Regulation Department.
You will collaborate with other attorneys and work directly with business partners as a member of the investment law team. The team is responsible for a wide range of investment transactional work for our public company parent, its numerous subsidiaries, and its investment advisers. The team’s work includes providing all the legal advice and support in connection with Allstate’s $90 billion investment portfolio, which includes various types of public and private investments, including opportunistic and alternative investments.
We are fortunate to have a great team of talented, engaged, hard-working attorneys, and we are looking for someone like that to join our team. You will be working with a team of professionals invested in your professional development and whose members appreciate that your career and your life should be mutually rewarding, not mutually exclusive.
Your Role on the Team
- You will provide legal advice and support to business partners with respect to legal issues and risks in connection with various investment transactions, including complex matters.
- You will structure transactions, draft, review, and negotiate documents, conduct due diligence and identify issues and risks, manage the closing process, lead projects, and prepare recommendations with respect to day-to-day matters.
- This position supports and has direct accountability for overseeing and handling legal issues for the business partners who manage the real estate, private equity, and commercial mortgage loan portfolios.
- You will also be responsible for overseeing the work of outside counsel and paraprofessionals.
- License to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction.
- 3-6 years’ experience structuring, documenting, negotiating, and managing investment transactions involving real estate, private equity funds, and commercial mortgage loans in a law firm, a Fortune 500 company or a similar organization.
- Experience drafting and negotiating leases, property management agreements, and other real estate-related documents, and providing legal advice and support in connection with distressed situations.
- Proficient negotiation skills and experience advising business partners with respect to complex investment transactions.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and critical-thinking skills, as well as the ability to identify and resolve legal issues.
- Ability to adapt to change, multi-task, make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, respond with a sense of urgency, and deliver results.
- Good interpersonal skills combined with the ability to develop and influence others.
- Solid legal and business knowledge with respect to investment transactions.
- Relationships with industry peers and participation in industry associations.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.