Senior Counsel – Credit and Workouts (New York)
The AIG Investments Legal Department is seeking a Junior Corporate Finance and/or Restructuring Lawyer for the position of Senior Counsel, resident in its New York office.
The Senior Counsel’s primary role will be to assist senior attorneys and advise AIG Investments, one of the world’s largest institutional fixed income investors, with the evaluation of proposed fixed income investments, as well as assistance with the management and resolution of investments that are or may become distressed.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing documents and instruments governing AIG Investments’ rights and remedies with respect to fixed income investments that are proposed for purchase in client accounts, as well as those that are or may become distressed;
- Advising portfolio managers and credit analysts regarding investment terms and covenant protections to assist in the evaluation of potential and existing credit investments;
- Advising AIG Investments in its capacity as a member of official or “ad hoc” creditor committees, in Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts;
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant fiduciary responsibilities, whether owed to AIG Investments’ clients, to a broader class of creditors, or otherwise;
- Managing all aspects of relationships with outside counsel and other professionals representing AIG Investments;
- Participating at a high level in the formulation and negotiation of reorganization plans, support agreements, bidding procedures and other section-363 sale documentation, DIP and exit financing arrangements, confidentiality undertakings, engagement letters, governance documents, shareholder agreements, and related agreements, and taking the lead on ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions of same;
- Working closely and cooperatively with all AIG Investments business teams and the other AIG lawyers on stressed and distressed situations, workouts and restructuring matters, in order to promote effective and efficient process and ensure successful results;
- Reporting to Associate General Counsel – Public Credit and Workouts and, on a periodic basis, the broader Legal Department, with regard to restructuring matters and new transactions; and
- Contributing to the Legal Department’s broader goals and projects, and developing expertise in other credit-related legal matters.
- Candidates must have a JD from a top law school and be admitted to at least one state bar (preferably New York).
- Ideally 3 or more years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience, with a demonstrated focus on fixed income securities, lending transactions, capital markets, workouts, corporate restructurings and/or Chapter 11 reorganizations.
- AIG Investments is particularly interested in candidates with a strong corporate legal background who exhibit intellectual curiosity and a keen understanding of corporate finance and credit markets.
- Experience representing institutional investors in ad hoc creditor committees is a strong plus, as is familiarity with Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code and other sources of law.
- Top academic credentials, excellent oral and written communication skills, a professional demeanor, maturity, judgment and poise are requirements for this position.
- Candidates must be able to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing projects with short deadlines.
- AIG Investments prides itself on fostering and maintaining a collegial, professional, friendly, creative, entrepreneurial and supportive work environment. This is a client-facing role that is integrated in many ways with the business; accordingly, through his or her example, the successful candidate will be expected to take ownership of, and help to promote, the firm’s positive culture.
About AIG Investments:
AIG Investments is a global, diversified investment management business, providing investment advisory and asset management services to American International Group, Inc. and its affiliates worldwide, as well as institutional third-party clients.
The AIG Investments Legal Department provides legal services and advice to AIG Investments’ business teams worldwide.
AIG Investments and AIG are Equal Opportunity Employers.