Assistant General Counsel – Fixed Income Investments (Houston or New York)
AIG Investments Legal Department
The AIG Investments Legal Department is currently seeking a Vice President – Assistant General Counsel for its Houston, Texas offices.
The attorney’s primary role will be to advise AIG Investments, one of the world’s largest institutional fixed income investors, with respect to the investment activities of several business units within AIG Investments, with current emphasis on residential mortgage loan acquisitions (RML), securitizations of RMLs, 144A transactions, structured credit transactions, capital markets transactions, insurance regulatory matters, and other financial transactions as client needs develop and evolve. This is a dynamic, high-profile and client-facing position for a self-starting lawyer willing to dive into a number of new and challenging projects.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Provide day-to-day legal support to the RML business team, with responsibilities to include oversight of internal RML acquisition entities, maintain familiarity with key laws governing such investments, oversee investment arrangements with third parties and with governmental agencies.
- Independently structure, negotiate and draft a broad range of structured credit agreements in support of bespoke transactions as they are developed by the capital markets group.
- Manage all aspects of relationships with outside counsel and other professionals representing AIG Investments.
- Work collaboratively with peers across Legal, Compliance and other control functions as well as with all levels of staff to ensure philosophical consistencies of approach and practice across diverse business lines and legal entities.
- Advise and assist front office, operational, finance and administrative groups on all aspects of fixed income investment related transactions including regulatory and governance issues
- Advise and assist the AIG Investments Compliance Department regarding the business’s regulatory and ethical obligations, practices and procedures
The ideal candidate will have –
- JD from a top law school and admitted to at least one state bar.
- Five (5)+ years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience with a focus on sophisticated financial transactions, debt financings, securities and/or workouts and restructurings or significant insurance company investments regulator experience.
- Demonstrated abilities in complex financings, structured products, and residential mortgage-related transactions are also beneficial.
- Top academic credentials, excellent oral and written communication skills, in particular the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and simply and to present clear choices are required.
- Excellent references, maturity, judgment and poise are requirements for this position.
- The candidate must have the ability and desire to take on multiple clients and effectively prioritize each client.
AIG Investments prides itself on fostering and maintaining a collegial, professional, friendly, creative, entrepreneurial and supportive work environment. This is a client-facing role; accordingly through his or her example, the successful candidate will be expected to take ownership of, and help to promote, the Legal Department’s positive culture.
About AIG Investments:
AIG Investments is a global, diversified investment management business, providing investment advisory and asset management services to American International Group, Inc. and its affiliates worldwide.
The AIG Investments Legal Department provides legal services and advice to AIG Investments’ business teams worldwide.
AIG Investments and AIG are Equal Opportunity Employers.