Assistant Vice President, Legal & Regulatory Associate
Location: 100 Wall Street, New York, New York
Aflac Global Investments
About Our Company
Aflac Global Investments located in New York’s financial district, is the organization responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. With more than 100 employees in the US (New York) and Japan (Tokyo), Aflac’s Global Investments organization seeks to maximize Aflac’s risk-adjusted returns, subject to our liability profile and capital requirements, and generates in excess of $3.0 billion a year in net investment income. As of December 31, 2020, Aflac assets were $149.7 billion with revenues totaling $221 billion.
Within Aflac Global Investments, the Legal & Regulatory Associate is a member of the New York Legal, Regulatory, and Compliance team. The position requires experience in the business and legal aspects of insurance company investment programs, along with the ability to analyze and address complex issues in support of Aflac Global Investments overall business objectives.
Reports to: Managing Director, Global Head of Investments Legal and Regulatory
Primary Support: Multiple functions in support of Global Credit, Derivatives and Asset Management.
Other Relationships: Columbus Georgia and Tokyo Japan Legal, Regulatory, Compliance, Credit, Trading, Portfolio Management, Securities Operations, Investment Risk, Accounting Policy, Investment Accounting, Global Tax, Government Relations, Information Security, Technology, Human Resources, and other key stakeholders.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide legal support based in NY for Aflac Global Investments activity, with a focus on corporate finance, private debt, structured debt, capital markets transactions and derivatives.
- Partner with credit, trading and portfolio management teams in the US and Japan to analyze the structure, terms and documentation of institutional investments and derivatives.
- Advise global credit team on financial covenants, structured investment vehicles, complex financing transactions, amendments, consents and special situations.
- Oversee external counsel providing support on the foregoing matters.
- Monitor regulatory and compliance developments including sustainable investing and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) developments.
- Provide guidance on permissible investment activities and on insurance laws applicable to investment activity.
- Work to limit regulatory and reputational risk of Aflac and help to reinforce Aflac Global Investment’s culture.
- 5 to 10 years of major law firm or other experience in Corporate Finance, Debt Capital Markets and/or Derivatives – Insurance Industry experience a plus.
- D., Admission to State Bar of New York or other state bar, required
- Transactional experience reviewing, analyzing, explaining, drafting and negotiating documents for complex financing transactions
- Able to take initiative, multi-task and work under pressure. Self-manage workload.
- Familiarity with cross-border finance.
- Ability to work effectively across a global organization.
- Excellent analytical and research skills – ability to analyze a variety of legal issues and synthesize complex information.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- Ability to address conflicting requirements or points of view and facilitate compromise where appropriate
- Ability to manage the investment transaction process
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
Apply online at https://careers.aflac.com