State Farm Insurance Companies is offering a Counsel opportunity with a Fortune 50 in-house legal team within the Investments Unit located in Bloomington, Illinois. This is not a virtual position. Primary job responsibilities include counseling State Farm on: (i) commercial mortgage loan transactions; (ii) the acquisition, development and sale of investment real estate; (iii) fixed income and private placement investments; (iv) private equity investments; (v) the formation and governance of affiliated entities; and (vi) laws and regulations impacting the investment activities of an insurer and its affiliates.
Interested candidates should have:
- Experience in representing financial institutions in complex commercial mortgage loan transactions and construction loans.
- Experience in counseling financial institutions on purchases and sales of commercial real estate and real estate construction and development issues.
- Advanced document drafting skills associated with commercial mortgage loan and real estate transactions.
- An understanding of real estate joint venture transactions and financial relationships between investors.
- An understanding of private equity investments.
- Experience in fixed income and private placement investments.
- An understanding of limited liability company and partnership organizational structures and governance.
- An awareness of current economic trends and laws and regulations impacting the investment activities of insurers and institutional investors.
- Demonstrated legal, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and coordinate the services of numerous transaction parties.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong work ethic and customer-service mentality.
- The ability to work in an environment that emphasizes information sharing, collaboration, teamwork, mutual respect and integrity.
Competencies required for this role include: Critical Thinking; Technical/Functional Expertise; Communication; Resourcefulness; Relationship Building; Initiative; Work Ethic; Integrity
- Law degree and excellent academic credentials from an ABA-accredited school required
- Must have active license to practice law in at least one state and a member in good standing of the bar
- Must obtain a limited license if not already appropriately licensed in IL
- Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or his designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work
- Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
- Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
- May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of the work