Job Title: Paralegal Consultant
What's the role?
The Paralegal is a member of the legal team that supports Northwestern Mutual’s institutional private debt and equity investment portfolio of over $40 billion and public investment portfolio of over $100 billion. Although under the direction and supervision of attorneys, the Paralegal will provide a high level of legal support and assistance directly to business clients and must be able to perform paralegal functions independently, with minimal guidance, including having primary responsibility for reviewing, drafting and negotiating complex legal documents and acting as the lead in managing transactions through closing.
Applies knowledge of legal concepts and processes in order to provide efficient and effective legal support to multiple areas of the enterprise by undertaking some or all of the following types of work:
- Has primary responsibility for drafting and negotiating complex legal documents and closing transactions
- Provides detailed analysis and guidance on complex business, legal and policy issues; possesses in-depth knowledge and expertise of the enterprise, processes and business clients' area in order to make recommendations directly to clients
- Performs general paralegal functions independently, with minimal guidance, including legal and public records research, compliance functions, regulatory reporting, updating files and databases.
- Acts as the lead in managing case/matter schedules, priorities, progress and deadlines
- Researches and uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve guidance and services
- Develops and implements new processes and procedures to address changes in the law and/or changing needs of the enterprise
- Acts as a mentor and resource for colleagues with less experience
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years of paralegal experience.
- Additional experience or additional experience together with a certificate of paralegal studies from a program approved by the American Bar Association may be considered in lieu of Bachelor's degree.
- Proven knowledge and experience in corporate finance, privately placed securities, commercial lending and/or institutional investment transactions.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to exercise good judgment and make recommendations to clients.
- High level of proficiency in written and oral communications, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven experience in prioritizing and concurrently handling and taking ownership of multiple, complex assignments and solving complex business problems.
- Superior interpersonal skills and proven ability to collaborate with and counsel clients throughout the enterprise, as well as attorneys and other professionals in the Law Department and outside of the enterprise.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform under time sensitive deadlines.
Information About Northwestern Mutual and the Law Department:
Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s 120 people, approximately 75 are lawyers, having come to Northwestern Mutual from all around the country after having graduated from a multitude of law schools and undergraduate institutions and having practiced in a wide variety of settings. The balance of the Department consists of highly-skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations. Our Law Department is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of men and women who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all disciplines directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel. There are eight main practice teams within the Law Department: Insurance Products and Operations; Investment Products and Advisory Services; Corporate and Tax; Distribution; Litigation; Enterprise Governance; Private Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments. Lawyers have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide the most timely and effective counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career satisfaction for our attorneys, paralegals, and professional administrative staff.
Northwestern Mutual is a Fortune 100 financial services company with $235 billion in invested assets and $28.4 billion in revenue. As a mutual company with no shareholders, we exist solely for the benefit of providing protection, financial strength, and product value to our 4.5 million clients through the use of robust financial planning and financial solutions that include both risk and investment products. The Company has the highest financial strength ratings awarded to any life insurance company by all four of the major financial ratings agencies, and it was named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" in its industry according to FORTUNE magazine's annual survey, published January 2019, and one of the "Best Employers for Diversity" for 2019 by Forbes magazine.
Please contact our Talent Acquisition Consultant, Ally Klasinski: firstname.lastname@example.org/ 414-665-8835.