Job Title: Assistant General Counsel & Assistant Secretary - Securities
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department is seeking an experienced and agile attorney interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security.
What's the role:
This attorney will be a member of the Department’s Private Securities Investments Team and will support the Company’s $250+ billion investment portfolio. Specifically, this attorney will provide legal advice on matters relating to the Company's private debt and equity portfolio and public investment portfolio. As a member of the team, and working collaboratively with other Department members, this attorney will:
- Be a trusted advisor helping investment professionals review and negotiate complex, multi-million dollar domestic and foreign investments including First Lien, Second Lien, Senior Unsecured, Unitranche, Mezzanine, HoldCo PIK, Preferred Equity, Common Equity, Structured and Project Finance, Limited Partnerships and Syndicated Bank Loans; and
- Provide legal support for a wide range of asset management activities for the Company’s investment portfolio including amendments and waivers, restructurings, bankruptcies, realizations, and regulatory matters.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Candidates must have at least five years of legal experience in one or more of the following areas: corporate finance, private placements, private equity, commercial lending, structured finance, securities offerings or mergers and acquisitions. Bankruptcy and restructuring experience is preferred. International investment experience would be a plus.
- To qualify, this candidate must be able to analyze a variety of legal issues, synthesize complex information, and provide solution-oriented legal advice to business professionals throughout the enterprise.
- A candidate must have an exemplary academic record and a Juris Doctorate degree; note that a license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or a commitment to become licensed within the first year of employment is required.
Desired personal attributes:
- The scope of this role may change over time to respond to business needs. The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable in terms of general skill sets & aspirations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a highly analytical and curious mind, creativity, comfort dealing with ambiguity, integrity, high ethical standards, and a positive demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute effectively in a team environment and to manage a multijurisdictional practice.
- Ability to work autonomously as well and to deal with multiple tasks at the same time.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all stakeholders of the enterprise.
Information About Northwestern Mutual and the Law Department:
Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s 120 people, approximately 75 are lawyers, having come to Northwestern Mutual from all around the country after having graduated from a multitude of law schools and undergraduate institutions and having practiced in a wide variety of settings. The balance of the Department consists of highly-skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations. Our Law Department is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of men and women who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all disciplines directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel. There are eight main practice teams within the Law Department: Insurance Products and Operations; Investment Products and Advisory Services; Corporate and Tax; Distribution; Litigation; Enterprise Governance; Private Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments. Lawyers have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide the most timely and effective counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career satisfaction for our attorneys, paralegals, and professional administrative staff.
Northwestern Mutual is a Fortune 100 financial services company with $235 billion in invested assets and $28.4 billion in revenue. As a mutual company with no shareholders, we exist solely for the benefit of providing protection, financial strength, and product value to our 4.5 million clients through the use of robust financial planning and financial solutions that include both risk and investment products. The Company has the highest financial strength ratings awarded to any life insurance company by all four of the major financial ratings agencies, and it was named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" in its industry according to FORTUNE magazine's annual survey, published January 2019, and one of the "Best Employers for Diversity" for 2019 by Forbes magazine.
Please contact our Talent Acquisition Consultant, Ally Klasinski: email@example.com/ 414-665-8835.