About Our Company
Aflac Incorporated was founded in 1955 and is headquartered in Columbus, Georgia.
When a policyholder gets sick or hurt, Aflac pays cash benefits fast. For six decades, Aflac insurance policies have given policyholders the opportunity to focus on recovery, not financial stress. In the United States, Aflac is the leading provider of voluntary insurance at the work site. Through its trailblazing One Day PaySM initiative, Aflac U.S. can receive, process, approve and disburse payment for eligible claims in one business day. In Japan, Aflac is a leading provider of medical and cancer insurance and insures 1 in 4 households. Aflac individual and group insurance products help provide protection to more than 50 million people worldwide. As of December 31, 2018, Aflac assets were $140.4 billion with total revenues totaling $21.7 billion.
For thirteen consecutive years, Aflac has been recognized by Ethisphere magazine as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies. In 2018, Fortune magazine recognized Aflac as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America for the 20th consecutive year. Also, in 2019, Fortune magazine included Aflac on its list of Most Admired Companies for the 18th time, ranking the company No. 1 in innovation for the insurance, life and health category. Aflac Incorporated is a Fortune 500 company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AFL.
As part of Aflac, Aflac Global Investments organization is responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac. With more than 100 employees in New York, Columbus, Ga., and Tokyo, Aflac’s Global Investments organization seeks to maximize risk-adjusted returns subject to our liability profile and capital requirements and generates in excess of $3.0 billion a year in net investment income.
Eric Kirsch, global chief investment officer, was named to the Power 100 List of CIOs by Chief Investment Officer Magazine in 2018, the fourth year that he and Aflac have been represented on this prestigious list.
Within Aflac’s Global Investments division, the Legal and Regulatory Associate is a member of the New York Legal and Regulatory team. The position requires expertise in business and legal aspects of insurance company investment programs, along with the ability to analyze and address complex issues in support of Aflac’s business objectives.
Reports to: Global Head of Investments Legal and Regulatory
Primary Support: Multiple functions in support of Global Credit, Derivatives and Asset Management.
Other Relationships: Columbus and Japan Legal and Regulatory, Credit, Trading, Portfolio Management, Securities Operations, Investment Risk, Accounting Policy, Investment Accounting, Global Tax, Government Relations, Human Resources, and other key stakeholders.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide legal support based in NY for Aflac Global Investments activity, with a focus on corporate finance, private debt and capital markets transactions and derivatives.
- Partner with the credit, trading and portfolio management teams in the US and Japan to analyze the structure, terms and documentation of institutional investments and derivatives.
- Advise global credit team on financial covenants, structured investment vehicles, complex financing transactions, amendments, consents and special situations.
- Oversee external counsel providing support on the foregoing matters.
- Monitor regulatory and compliance developments.
- Provide guidance on permissible investment activities.
- Work to limit regulatory and reputational risk of Aflac and help to reinforce Aflac Global Investment’s culture.
Candidate and Qualifications
- 5 to 10 years of major law firm or other experience in Corporate Finance, Debt Capital Markets, Derivatives and/or Asset Management - Insurance Industry experience a plus.
- J.D., Admission to State Bar of New York, required
- Transactional experience reviewing, analyzing, explaining, drafting and negotiating documents for complex financing transactions
- Able to take initiative, multi-task and work under pressure. Self-manage workload.
- Familiarity with cross-border finance.
- Ability to work effectively across a global organization.
- Excellent analytical and research skills – ability to analyze a variety of legal issues and synthesize complex information.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- Ability to address conflicting requirements or points of view and facilitate compromise where appropriate
- Ability to manage the investment transaction process
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
Please contact Lisa Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org.