Sun Life Financial is a leading international financial services organization providing a broad range of protection and wealth products and services to individuals, businesses and institutions. www.sunlife.com
Sun Life Financial is seeking a lawyer with excellent academic credentials, solid business acumen, and a strong client service focus to join our US Law Department to support US-based private fixed income transactions sourced by Sun Life’s Private Fixed Income (“PFI”) business team, which manages a diverse portfolio of private debt and investments valued at over $5.2 billion, and our affiliated investment adviser.
- A minimum 4–8 years’ experience in sophisticated secured and unsecured private debt placement financing transactions, project finance, structured finance, and/or asset lending, either at a top tier law firm or in a comparable in-house position. Syndicated bank lending, commercial mortgage, bankruptcy and workout experience a plus.
- Familiarity with US securities laws, and investment advisers act, law and regulations relating to institutional private placement debt transactions, state insurance company laws, Form ADV, bankruptcy laws and private equity helpful.
This role is expected to include the following responsibilities:
- Assisting the PFI team in reviewing transactional documents, identifying legal, structural and related risks in potential transactions, ensuring the documentation aligns with the PFI team’s understandings and expectations, and offering constructive solutions to mitigate risks while achieving the key objectives of the business team.
- Advising on strategies and remedies if a PFI investment does not perform or a default occurs.
- Advising on applicable legal and regulatory provisions.
- Overseeing, directing and/or reviewing the work of external counsel.
- Assessing and advising on legal and structural questions and assisting in the implementation of investment initiatives.
The successful candidate will:
- demonstrate a high level of competence, diligence, attention to detail and professionalism.
- be highly motivated.
- be able to provide timely and effective legal support and strategic legal advice on structuring of complex transactions and assessing transactional risks.
- have a strong ability to negotiate transactions and to counsel internal stakeholders.
- have familiarity with market practices and the criteria used to evaluate and implement financing transactions.
- be able to work effectively with outside counsel and collaboratively in large groups of institutional investors with other internal counsel.
- possess strong problem solving and communication skills.
- be able to manage competing priorities with confidence.
- have the ability to thrive in our fast–paced business-oriented environment.
To apply for the position, the candidate should please go on to www.sunlife.com and follow the “Career” links. The identifying number for this position is JR00003713. Interested candidates should apply online through the “Careers” portal of the website.