Job Title: Paralegal
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What's the role?
The Paralegal is a member of the legal team that supports Northwestern Mutual’s institutional private debt and equity investment portfolio of over $40 billion and public investment portfolio of over $100 billion. Although under the direction and supervision of attorneys, the Paralegal will provide a high level of legal support and assistance directly to business clients and must be able to perform paralegal functions independently, with minimal guidance, including having primary responsibility for reviewing, drafting and negotiating complex legal documents and acting as the lead in managing transactions through closing.
Applies knowledge of legal concepts and processes in order to provide efficient and effective legal support to multiple areas of the enterprise by undertaking some or all of the following types of work:
- Has primary responsibility for drafting and negotiating complex legal documents and closing transactions
- Provides detailed analysis and guidance on complex business, legal and policy issues; possesses in-depth knowledge and expertise of the enterprise, processes and business clients' area in order to make recommendations directly to clients
- Performs general paralegal functions independently, with minimal guidance, including legal and public records research, compliance functions, regulatory reporting, updating files and databases.
- Acts as the lead in managing case/matter schedules, priorities, progress and deadlines
- Researches and uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve guidance and services
- Develops and implements new processes and procedures to address changes in the law and/or changing needs of the enterprise
- Acts as a mentor and resource for colleagues with less experience
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years of paralegal experience.
- Additional experience or additional experience together with a certificate of paralegal studies from a program approved by the American Bar Association may be considered in lieu of Bachelor's degree.
- Proven knowledge and experience in corporate finance, privately placed securities, commercial lending and/or institutional investment transactions.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to exercise good judgment and make recommendations to clients.
- High level of proficiency in written and oral communications, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven experience in prioritizing and concurrently handling and taking ownership of multiple, complex assignments and solving complex business problems.
- Superior interpersonal skills and proven ability to collaborate with and counsel clients throughout the enterprise, as well as attorneys and other professionals in the Law Department and outside of the enterprise.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform under time sensitive deadlines.
Talent Acquisition Consultant
720 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202