Based in Hartford, Connecticut, the Assistant General Counsel, Real Estate Law, will be a critical part of a team of attorneys responsible for supporting Hartford Investment Management Company, a registered investment adviser with approximately $98.5B in assets under management. The Assistant General Counsel, Real Estate Law, will be responsible for providing advice on a wide range of investment matters, with an emphasis on commercial mortgage lending, other real estate and alternative investment transactions and various asset management issues associated with a large real estate portfolio. Assistant General Counsel, Real Estate Law, will work in close partnership with senior investment professionals within HIMCO, in-house and outside counsel, and other members of The Hartford’s Law Department. This role will be based in our Hartford, CT, Home Office.
- Provide counsel to senior investment professionals on a broad range of legal issues related to investment transactions in a variety of investment sectors and asset classes, principally commercial mortgage lending, real estate equity investments, real estate funds and asset management matters.
- Draft, negotiate, and coordinate application documentation for commercial mortgage loan program and term sheets for joint venture equity investments.
- Negotiate loan and equity investment documentation, and coordinate overall investment closing process, including closing process for third party clients purchasing interests in CMLs.
- Assist with regulatory and other transactional matters, and maintain knowledge of trends in the industry and familiarity with applicable regulations.
- A minimum of five years of relevant investment transactional experience, preferably at an institutional lender; relevant experience from a law firm will also be considered.
- Candidate must be admitted in Connecticut or qualify as authorized house counsel in Connecticut.
- Significant investment counsel experience in commercial real estate lending, joint venture equity, private real estate funds and other financial/investment transactions.
- Experience in workouts and restructurings helpful.
- Innovative and efficient, with ability to build and grow effective working relationships with seasoned investment professionals and communicate on substantive issues with eye toward potential solutions.
- Self-starter, self-directed, highly motivated, and able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability and success in an environment with constantly changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Sound judgment, risk assessment and decision-making skills.
- Team player with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- J.D. required.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Interested and qualified individuals, please email resume in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.