The Assistant General Counsel, Investment Law, will be a critical part of a team of attorneys and paralegals responsible for supporting one of The Hartford's registered investment advisers, with approximately $98.5B in assets under management. The attorney will be responsible for providing advice on a wide range of investment matters with an emphasis on alternative investment transactions. The Counsel will routinely interact with senior professionals within Hartford Investment Management Company (HIMCO), in-house and outside counsel, and other members of The Hartford's Law Department. This role is based in our Hartford, CT, home office.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to senior clients on a broad range of legal issues related to investment transactions in a variety of investment sectors and asset classes (principally alternative investments such as private placements including project financings, direct mezzanine and equity investments, private equity and hedge funds, and workouts and restructurings).
- Review, negotiate, and coordinate documentation for limited partnership investments, subscription documents, Note Purchase Agreements, intercreditor agreements, security documents, letters of intent, term sheets, amendments, non-disclosure agreements and other agreements.
- Maintain knowledge of trends in the industry and familiarity with applicable regulation.
- Assist with other regulatory and transactional matters.
- A minimum of five or more years of relevant investment transactional experience; law firm and/or investment management company experience will be considered.
- Candidate must be admitted in Connecticut or qualify as authorized house counsel in Connecticut.
- Significant experience in private placements, direct mezzanine and equity investments, private equity funds, and other financial/investment transactions required.
- Experience in workouts and restructurings preferred.
- Innovative and efficient in maintaining client focus.
- High level of initiative and a self-starter, self-directed, highly motivated, and able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability and success in an environment with changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Sound judgment, risk assessment, and decision-making skills.
- Team player with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- J.D. required.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Interested and qualified individuals, please email resume in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.