The Allstate Corporation
Position Specification: Real Estate Private Equity Attorney
Position Title: Real Estate Private Equity Attorney
Investments & Business Transactions Law
Corporate Profile: The Allstate Corporation, Northbrook, IL
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL) is the nation's largest publicly held personal lines insurer, serving approximately 16 million households through its Allstate, Encompass, Esurance and Answer Financial brand names and Allstate Financial business segment.
Allstate Investments manages approximately $80 billion of assets. Our goal is to provide sustainable, competitive, risk-adjusted investment returns and investment-related services for the benefit of our clients. Investment performance for our portfolios has consistently provided excess returns, and we attribute that success in large part to the quality of our people. Allstate Investments includes more than 300 individuals across a variety of investment disciplines including fixed income, equities, private securities, commercial mortgages, and derivative, as well as finance and technology, and partners with a dedicated team of investment attorneys in Allstate’s Law & Regulation division.
As an institutional investor – with origins as a pioneering venture capital investor in the 1960’s – we continue to evolve as a leader in modern global investing. Today, we invest with world-class partners in most major fund strategies around the world. We also invest directly, alongside leading funded and independent sponsors as well as other like-minded partners. We invest globally, emphasizing buyout, growth, mezzanine, distressed, and secondary strategies. Our offices are located in suburban Chicago and London.
Importantly, we recognize that our employees are one of our most important resources. We seek to attract and retain highly-qualified individuals with strong academic backgrounds and a desire to be challenged. For additional information about Allstate Investments, visit our website at www.AllstateInvestments.com.
Area of Responsibility:
Allstate’s Law and Regulation division is seeking an attorney who has passion for real estate private equity and direct real estate investing (the “Asset Classes”) as well as the requisite skills and experience to join our Investments & Business Transactions Law team, supporting the Asset Classes. The team is responsible for a wide range of investment transactional work for our public company parent, numerous subsidiaries, and other clients and works closely with our investment professionals. The team provides legal advice and support in connection with all phases of investing including the evaluation, structuring, documentation, negotiation, execution, monitoring, and managing investments in the United States and in other global regions.
Specific responsibilities for the Real Estate Private Equity Attorney include:
- Support investment professionals who manage the Asset Classes;
- Collaborate with other attorneys and work directly with our business partners as a member of the Investments and Business Transactions Law team;
- Provide advice and counsel to business partners on legal issues and risks in connection with the Asset Classes and other investment and transactional matters;
- Conduct legal reviews; identify and analyze key issues; draft, review, and negotiate transaction agreements; manage projects; and prepare communications with respect to day-to-day matters;
- Coordinate, supervise, and oversee the work of outside counsel;
- Prepare materials to support investment recommendations, transaction execution, and ongoing deal governance and oversight; and
- Prepare investment-related regulatory filings, and monitor, assess, and participate in industry association activities relating to investment-related public policy and regulatory developments.
The successful candidate will have four to seven years of legal advisory experience in the Asset Classes. Additional skills required include:
- Proven ability to work on multiple investment-related projects in a time critical, transaction-oriented environment;
- Knowledge of and interest in current trends, success factors, participants, and terms in the Asset Classes;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and negotiating complex legal documentation in connection with the Asset Classes and transaction execution;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Eagerness to work hard in a team-oriented, performance-based environment;
- Self-motivation and direction, ability to work on a team;
- Strong organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills as well as the ability to work on a team identifying legal issues;
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Relationships with industry peers and participation in industry associations.
Educational and Licensure Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree, J.D., and a license to practice law in a U.S. Jurisdiction
Leadership Requirements and Personal Traits:
The successful candidate will be a team player. This individual must also have the following personal and professional attributes consistent with Allstate’s stated values:
- Thrive on change and continuous improvement;
- Demonstrate and foster a sense of urgency, commitment, and accountability while making sound decisions and achieving goals;
- Focus on exceptional customer service and drive innovation to create an atmosphere that supports new ideas and initiative;
- Communicate effectively in a manner that results in teamwork, shared knowledge, and ideas;
- Articulate, inspire, and engage others in a plan of action aligned with our organizational mission and goals;
- Be of unquestionable integrity, ethical, and moral character; and
- Pursue lifelong learning and personal development.
Compensation and Benefits Package:
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided, including an attractive base salary and an annual target bonus opportunity based on the company’s and the individuals performance.
Additionally, Allstate offers a range of competitive benefits programs and resources:
- Comprehensive health care plans, dental coverage, vision coverage, and flexible spending accounts;
- Group legal, AD&D, group and dependent life insurance, as well as long-term and short-term disability;
- 401K and pension;
- Paid time off days; and
- Shuttle service from nearby public transportation.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Apply through the legal position postings on Allstate.com/careers/legal.